Saturday, May 8, 2010

Fueled by champagne and Sex and the City...


Tonight was ladies night (the boys are golfing) so it was an evening to re-watch "Sex and the City" movie and drink champagne and gossip (really, aren't all girl nights this? even our "book club"?). Anyways, I've been thinking a lot lately about the amazing women I know and with Mother's Day coming up, this entry is for all the incredible women I've had the opportunity to meet. If you had asked me a couple years ago if I was a "girls girl" or a "guys girl"- I most definitely would've said guys' girl. Don't get me wrong- the picture/caption above was MADE for me (I am SO girly!) but I was always the girl that got along better with boys- girls are far more cunning and smart- also the object of competion (clothes, hair, weight,etc...this list could go on forever) but then things began to change.

My mom has always been an inspiration to me- she was a great mother and has always been there for me- through tears (and tears and tears- there was the Shane era after all!) and laughter and has now become one of my best friends. I'm sure Gary has a count of how many times we talk a day but it has to be at least 2-3....or more:) My sister is also one of my best friends- she has seen me at my worst (and I at hers:)) and we have the best time whenever we hang out. My family, especially the females, are especially close. Want to see the 8th wonder of the world? Spend time in an enclosed environment (car, restaurant, your choice) and watch how we interact- it drives everyone CRAZY but us! We all talk at the exact same time but yet we all hear each other...I think we should be in a record book or something somewhere:) My aunt Lezlie and cousin Jill are two of the greatest ladies I know and any outing with them is guaranteed to be the best. My grandma is a very special person to me. She doesn't know this (she will now- it's on a blog!) but anytime I have trouble sleeping I think about all her visits when I was little and how we colored together- if I concentrate hard enough I can still smell the crayons in the coffee jar that we would color with. Some of my fondest memories that make my heart just ache to be little again (because sometimes, wouldn't that be nice?) are visiting here in Colorado- walking into her cozy condo late at night, sitting down for toasted tortillas and cheese and then I was the lucky grandchild that got to share her waterbed and listen to the june bugs as we fell asleep.

The list of women extends to my best friends- Jen (20+ years!), Hayley and Krystal- each time I spend time with anyone of these people there is bound to be a good time. The biggest change that was made for me being a "girls girl" was me becoming a mammographer. I was a little worried about working with all women, having all female patients- that's a recipe for drama if I ever heard one. But it has changed my life. I have met some of the strongest women I think I will ever know. I see women look cancer in the face everyday- women who have husbands, jobs, young children and responsibility galore- and tackle it head on. I see everyday the strength that God has given us as women. Men are physically stronger but we have the ability to deal with life and death with a grace and strength that always amazes me. I see women take cancer in the same stride that they would take a cold- you deal with it, do what you have to do and move on. why? Because you are strong and people depend on you- we, as women, are the rocks in peoples lives.




1 comment:

  1. Oh Sweetie! I feel the very same way...Throughout my entire childhood I was always more comfortable with the boys...I did have good girl friendships, but I wasnt as comfortable until meeting you, jill, hayley and holly! You are so wonderful! Love you! I am so sorry I am going to miss your Birthday Bash this year :{ I hope you all have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete